Thursday, February 17, 2011

Hotel On The Corner of Bitter And Sweet by Jamie Ford

I picked up Hotel on The Corner of Bitter and Sweet because it's set in Seattle. And I love to read book set in my fair city. I enjoyed it not only because of it's setting but the beautiful love story that unfolds. Hotel on The Corner of Bitter and Sweet is the story of Henry, growing up in the 1940's. Henry is Chinese living in Chinatown. His father wants Henry to get a good education so he sends him to a predominately white school. Henry is bullied by the other kids who can't distinguish Chinese from Japanese. But it's at that school that Henry meets Keiko, a Japanese girl who teaches him about becoming his own man, standing up for what he thinks is and most importantly love. At the heart of Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet is a love story, love for family, love between parents, friends and first loves.
I highly recommend Hotel on The Corner of Bitter and Sweet. It's a wonderfully beautiful story. Others who shared their thoughts: The Lost Entwife, Book Journey, The Adventures of an Intrepid Reader, Savvy Verse & Wit, Lovely Little Things, Bookgirl's Nightstand, Lori's Reading Corner and Library Queue.

2 comments:

  1. I remember seeing this one around and wanting to read it :) Wonderful review

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that it was a beautiful story. A sad piece of our country's history. I will link to your review on War Through the Generations.

    ReplyDelete

Shiny! I love comments.