Monday, July 11, 2011

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

I have finally read a Neil Gaiman book! Yay. I can finally feel like a book blogger!
I picked The Graveyard Book up one day after checking the shelves at my local library. I'd heard good things about The Graveyard book so I decided to check it out. I was not disappointed.
The Graveyard Book is a collection of adventures about Nobody "Bod" Owens. When Bod was a baby his folks were killed and he came to live at the graveyard. All the residents of the graveyard (ghosts and other paranormal folks) decided to keep him and raise him. The book does have an overarching story but most of the chapters are about Bod's adventures exploring the graveyard. I think my favorite adventure is when Bod goes to school. It showed how Bod cared about others despite living apart from living people for so long. And the illustrations are fantastic. It's been a long time since I read a book with illustrations. These added to the story in the most wonderful way.
Overall, I found The Graveyard Book to be a delightful story. I'll be looking for more of Gaiman's work in the future. Others who shared their thoughts about The Graveyard Book: The Book Snob, The Betty and Boo Chronicles, Debbie's World of Books, Fluttering Butterflies, This Miss Loves To Read, and Lucybird's Book Blog.
This was my twentieth read for the YA Reading Challenge.

5 comments:

  1. This is one of 3 audio books I have listened too..wow, of 2. But Gaiman sure writes well, and tells it well too

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great Gaiman book to start with! My fave Gaiman books are his Sandman graphic novel series!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you read Coraline?? That one is great too!! I still haven't read this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Neil Gaiman, but haven't read this one yet - sometimes I think I'm the only blogger who hasn't!! I can really recommend Stardust, it's really great.

    ReplyDelete

Shiny! I love comments.