Friday, December 13, 2013

Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan


I've been wanting to read Dash & Lily's Book of Dares for sometime. I was waiting for the holiday season to be upon since the book takes place around Christmastime. I'm glad I finally read it. It was everything I hoped.

One day Dash is browsing The Strand, a famous New York bookstore, when he finds a red Moleskine journal tucked on a shelf. Intrigued he opens the book and finds a set of dares waiting for him. Dash decides to take up the dares. Meanwhile, the book's owner, Lily, waits to see what will happen. The book wasn't Lily's idea but her brother, Langston's. Langston wants to find Lily a boyfriend so he can spend with his and Lily will leave the two of them alone. But Dash not only will follow the dares but dole some out of his own.

I really enjoy Cohn and Levithan's collaborations. I loved Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist. While the back and forth POV was the same. Dash and Lily aren't Nick and Norah which was perfect. Everyone describes Dash as snarly. But I think he was rather a fine young man. He spends his time reading and exploring bookstores. He's a bit of a loner but has a hysterical friend, Boomer, who provides a lot of comic relief. Lily's an outsider. She gets along with everyone but has no true friends. She can sometimes overreact so her family shelters her. The book of dares was an excellent way for both of them to get over those things that were holding them back.

Overall, I enjoyed my time with Dash & Lily. I wouldn't mind spending more time in their world. It was the perfect lighthearted holiday story. Others who reviewed Dash & Lily's Book of Dares: The Diary of A Bookworm, Reading Until I Fall Asleep, Moonlight Book Reviews, YA Book Nerd, and Pink Fluffy Hearts.

2 comments:

  1. I've heard such great things about this one! And knowing that you enjoyed it only makes me want to read it more. Although I haven't read Nick & Norah, but I did see the movie and love it, which makes me think I'd really enjoy these authors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've wanted to try this author (and this book) for some time now. I just need to finally grab it from the library :) That would be a pretty good start! Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Shiny! I love comments.