Monday, November 30, 2015

Get Jiro! by Anthony Bourdain



I picked up Get Jiro! because a graphic novel written Bourdain sounded to interesting to pass up. I really enjoyed this very bloody romp.

Yes, this is the Jiro from Jiro Dreams of Sushi. Jiro has a small sushi bar in Los Angeles. Los Angles has become split by two rival food ideologies, the purists and the locavore. I loved how Bourdain skewers food culture.  People are waiting years to dine at some restaurants, Getting into fist fights to get into restaurants. The two heads of each faction acting like mafia bosses. It's all very funny and tongue in cheek. But it's also very bloody. It is like a mafia movie. Lots of feeding people to the pigs. It is very bloody and violent, definitely not for the squeamish.

I found the story interesting but the characters were a little flat. I need to read more by Bourdian. He;s funny. Others who shared their thoughts on Get Jiro!:Well Preserved, Kei's Kitchen, and iFanboy.
This is my eighth read of the Foodies Read Challenge.


1 comment:

Shiny! I love comments.