Monday, November 16, 2015

Let's Get Lost by Adi Alsaid

I picked up Let's Get Lost because I love road trip books. I'm glad I did because it was an engaging story.

Leila's on a road trip to see the Northern Lights. Each chapter is told by a different person she meets on her trip (Hudson, Sonia, Bree, and Elliot). Each person is going through a difficult time when Leila enters their life and she tries her best to help them through it. But each person doesn't learn a lot about Leila. In fact the reader doesn't learn much about her til the very end. I thought that was clever. I wanted to know more about Leila and not just through someone's eyes. But I enjoyed Leila's road trip and I enjoyed the wait in getting to know her better. I enjoyed how she met the other characters and how she tried to help them. Hudson, small town mechanic, has the big college interview the day after Leila rolls into his life. I wasn't sure where this was going to go. Hudson falls for Leila and she turns his life upside down. Bree has a lot of family drama and Leila doesn't fall her bull and forces Bree to come to terms with her decisions. Elliot. I loved this 80's rom com loving boy. I was sad that his heart was broken but I loved Elliot and Leila's adventures in getting the girl. Sonia is greiving and thinks that running away will solve her problem. But that only complicates things and Leila and Sonia have to find a way back to Canada without a passport. By the end of the book, I wanted to her Leila's story. And I was glad I stuck around to hear it.

Let's Get Lost is a good solid read. Perfect for a rainy afternoon. While there are some deeper messages in the book, Alsaid does a great job of not making the book preachy. I'd read more of Alsaid's work. Others who shared their thoughts on Let's Get Lost:Writer of Wrongs, The Perpetual Page-Turner, and Miss Page-Turner's City of Books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shiny! I love comments.