Monday, September 27, 2010

Thoughts on The Language of Trees by Ilie Ruby

Shellie of Layers of Thought suggested The Language of Trees to me a few months ago. I'm really glad she did. The writing is beautiful. Ruby really draws you in a paints the most gorgeous picture of this town. The story was ok-love lost, then found again. I did like the characters, but I felt they paled in comparison to the beauty of the surroundings.

The willows here grow to enduring heights of one hundred feet, their narrow leaves and long branches bent towards the ground, never forgetting their home. (pg.14)
The rain clouds ebb and flow across it, causing the sky to change from dark to light and back. At this time if year the weather is fickle, sunlight interrupted by  light rain, which dissipates into fog. (p. 58)

Who wouldn't want to visit there? It sounds magical. 
 I enjoyed reading The Language of Trees. It was a lyrical escape. Beautifully written. I look forward to Ruby's next book. 
Other thoughts on The Language of Trees: Devourer of Books, Chaotic Compendium, and Library Queue.

5 comments:

  1. it does sound like a beautiful book :=

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Beautiful setting, OK story. Thanks for the link love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This does sound good and I love the example of her writing that you shared with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers for the shout out Linda.. I am glad you enjoyed this. Which means I will too.

    Hopefully I will have some more to send you way...

    Oh and I am skipping over your gorgeous food posts since I am trying to get rid of the extra 10 pounds I put on vacation...

    ReplyDelete

Shiny! I love comments.