Thursday, March 3, 2011

Hunger by Jackie Morse Kessler

I immediately put Hunger on my library queue after reading the synopsis. Hunger is the story of Lisa, an anorexic teen who is tapped to be Famine, one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. I have been intrigued by the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse lately. I blame Supernatural.
Hunger is a quick fun read. Yeah she's Famine but it's not so much about being one of The Four Horseman as it is about seeing the world outside yourself and your little corner of it. Lisa's anorexia made her seek like minded friends and close herself off from the outside world. But after becoming Famine she was able to see the world and see other people and how food affected them. Then she was able to see food from a different perspective. But it's all told humorously, not at all preachy.
I recommend Hunger. I'm excited to read the next in the series, Rage. Others who shared their thoughts: Paranormal Indulgence, The Book Scout, Books from Bleh To Basically Amazing and Smart Girls Read.
This is the third book I've read for the 2011 YA Reading Challenge.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a really cool read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good :D
    And oh yes I blame SPN too, great show

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure if this is one I would pick up without your having read your review...I'm interested.

    ReplyDelete

Shiny! I love comments.