Friday, January 10, 2014

Ten Ways To Be Adored When Landing A Lord by Sarah MacLean


I read Nine Rules To Break When Romancing A Rake last year. I found it utterly delightful. I knew I had to continue with the series so I read Ten Ways To Be Adored When Landing A Lord. While Ten Ways wasn't as charming as Nine Rules, it was still a lovely romance. 

Lady Isabel lives in Yorkshire, far removed from London. Isabel is doing her best to keep a house running, rear her 10 year old brother, the earl, and look after a group of women she has taken in. Lady Isabel is known through England as the place where girls in trouble can go. Isabel accepts them, gives them a home, and in return they act as butler, stable workers, or cooks. When Isabel's father dies and it's clear that he gambled away what little they have left, Isabel decides to start selling her possessions, starting with her marble statues.

In London, the leading ladies magazine has just named St. John as one of London's Lords to Land. Eager ladies are turning up at every turn, trying to catch St. John's attention. Desperate to be left alone, St. John offers to help a friend whose sister has gone missing. Using his tracking skills, St. John tracks his friend's sister to Yorkshire. After rescuing Isabel from peril. Isabel decides that her chance meeting with St. John is a sign since in addition to being London's Lord to Land, he's also an expert on marble statues.

While I found Nine Rules to be a more entertaining read, I did like Ten Ways. Isabel is prideful. She has been caring for everyone for a long time. At twenty-four, she assumed she would not find love and instead be the spinster sister to an earl. Isabel had grown accustom to being the one everyone turned to. St. John wasn't looking to fall in love. Although he does have a way of being there to rescue damsels in distress. I did like both St. John and Isabel. I thought their romance was sweet. Their banter wasn't as witty as Callie and Ralston's in Nine Rules but it still had me smiling. 

I'm looking forward to Eleven Scandals to Start to Win A Duke's Heart. Others who shared their thoughts on Ten Ways To Be Adored When Landing A Lord: On A Book Bender, Book Whore, Smitten With Books, and The Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell.
This was my first read for the What's In A Name Challenge. This satisfies the Number written In Letters category. 

5 comments:

  1. I should read more books by her :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so going to read these books one day! They're so adorable, and I particularly love the rhyme in this title. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed A Rogue by Any Other Name by MacLean so I need to read more by her this year. This sounds like a pretty good read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hopping over from the What's In a Name Challenge. This sounds like a series I would enjoy -- adding it to the list!

    Joy's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. 'Since in addition to being London's Lord to Land, he's also an expert on marble statues.' That sounds a lot of fun! I keep forgetting to add this author to my list. Then again I didn't know what her books were like - I'm definitely adding her now! Well done on completing a number written in letters.

    ReplyDelete

Shiny! I love comments.