Monday, November 28, 2016

Shiro: Wit, Wisdom & Recipes by Shiro Kashiba

I've been lucky enough to eat at Shiro's twice. So when I saw his memoir, I had to pick it up. Shiro is a sushi legend in Seattle. I was excited to learn more about Shiro and hear about how he became a sushi chef. I enjoyed learning about Shiro's life in Japan and how he came to America. This was in the late 60's and early 70's. There was no internet and sushi shops weren't as popular so Shiro had to rely on a friend who was backpacking through the US to help him find Japanese restaurants that he might work in. Then he wrote letters to those restaurants asking for a job. It took a long time for him to find someone who was willing to give him a job but he found a restaurant in Seattle that was willing to take a chance on him.

There are some recipes in the back. I wanted to make a few of the recipes but I read the book over Thanksgiving and didn't have a chance. But the Sole Shioyaki and Poke Belltown looked really good. I can't wait to try his new place, Sushi Kashiba. Others who shared their thoughts on Shiro: The Matterhorn Review, Mode Nook, and The Oxen of The Sun.
This fourth read for the Foodies Read Challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shiny! I love comments.