Friday, November 25, 2016

We Came All The Way From Cuba So You Could Dress Like This? by Achy Obejas

I found We Came All The Way From Cuba So You Could Dress Like This? on a list of books about LGBTQ and POC. Obejas' book definitely discusses the intersectionality of both. The stories are all touching, some humorous, some sad.

Each story is so different but most of the stories are focused on a gay or lesbian character. Sometimes about their lovers, sometimes about their health, about their families. The nationality of the person also plays a large part, most of the characters are Latinx. The stories don't all follow the same characters. Some stories are about men, and some women. Obejas doesn't shy away from talking about AIDS. I could this book wasn't written recently because I almost never hear about AIDS anymore in the United States. I'm sure it's still happening but it's not getting the press it once did. But Obejas' stories about AIDS were moving and real. In fact all of her writing was real. She talked about everything like she's been there.

I really enjoyed We Came All The Way From Cuba So You Could Dress Like This? I couldn't find any reviews about this book from independent bloggers. It seems like a lot of college courses have this book on their syllabi. I hope more people read it.
We Came All The Way From Cuba So You Could Dress Like This? fulfilled the country category for the What's In A Name Challenge.

1 comment:

Shiny! I love comments.