Monday, January 31, 2011

Lunch In Paris by Elizabeth Bard

I'm so glad I put this book in my library queue after reading about it on The Captive Reader (Thanks Claire!). Lunch In Paris is the story of Elizabeth Baird who meets a Frenchman, falls in love and moves to France. This is what ever I moved to a foreign county memoir should be. It's full of honesty. More than once Baird doesn't understand how she can live in a country that goes against so much what she grew up with. I loved her adventures. How she spent her days, getting to meet her boyfriend's parents, how she dealt with returning shoes. It was all very fish out of water.
At the end of each chapter there are recipes, oh the recipes. I couldn't read this book when I was hungry because I wanted to make every single thing in there. I would read the recipes aloud to Tai and he asked if I was reading a cookbook. A memoir with a menu. Loved that.
Baird writes in a conversational tone, almost like a diary. She also has a blog with the same name with more recipes. I found her adventures amusing. She reminded me a little of Julia Child, being in France, not sure what to do, determined to make it home. But overall I found the book to amusing, touching and just plain lovely. Highly recommended for those who love a good travel memoir, love food or all things French. Others who shared their thoughts on Lunch In Paris: The Captive Reader and The Opinions of A Wolf.

3 comments:

  1. Loved your thoughts on this one..now I want to read it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds great! Last summer my book club read A Homemade Life and prepared recipes for a pot luck dinner/discussion. Sound like this might be a possibility for this summer... thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one does sound good to me now :)
    And the cover looks so sweet

    ReplyDelete

Shiny! I love comments.