Monday, January 10, 2011

My Life In France by Julia Childs

I grew up watching Julia Child on tv. I loved her enthusiasm for life and cooking which is evident in this book. My Life In France is about Julia and Paul Child’s time in France, living in Provence and in Paris. Paul’s governmental job took them to France (Germany and Norway as well) with Julia tagging along. One of my absolute favorite things about this book is that it shows you can never start anything to late in life. Julia was 32 when she moved to France and started to learn to cook. Julia felt a passion towards cooking and felt compelled to learn more. Julia never suggests that you move to France or join Cordon Blue cooking school. If you have a passion towards something, you should use what resources are around you to develop that passion.
I found Julia’s story to be encouraging. Often times in the kitchen I get upset that something I made doesn’t come out well. Julia says you should never apologize. As long as you try your best, it’s all part of the learning. I’ve been using Julia as inspiration in the kitchen and I’ve felt more at ease trying different recipes.
I love reading memoirs of folks who have lived in France and this has to be the best I’ve read so far. Julia describes the sights and smells of France in such an enchanting way I felt like I was standing along aside her.
Highly recommended to those who love food, memoirs or enjoy Julia Childs.
This is the first book off my TBR challenge.

7 comments:

  1. Hurray, you enjoyed this as much as I did! I just added the old Julia Child TV shows to my Netflix queue... can't wait to watch them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps I had heard about her before I saw that Amy Adams movie, I just do not know. But after that I was sure interested

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wanting to read this book,but forgot about it. Going to see if I can check it out this weekend at the library.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never seen Julia Child, but I loved the movie Julie & Julia, and it made me quite curious about Child's life! Good to know this is a fun read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I used to watch her show when I was little too! And I also loved the movie... so this book is one of the ones I'm excited about reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually have this book! I loved it - every single minute of reading it. it was like I was a fly on the wall during her life!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Julia Childs is a personal heroine of mine, and this book is one of my all-time favorites.

    ReplyDelete

Shiny! I love comments.