Friday, September 30, 2011

Blood, Bones and Butter by Gabrielle Hamilton

I heard the buzz surround this book and I couldn't help but be attracted to the name. Plus it's a food memoir, my favorite kind. I'm really glad I picked this one up. It made me hungry.
Gabrielle doesn't start out looking to become a chef. She falls into easily, thanks to her mother who let her hang out in the kitchen and watch her cook. As Gabriella got older she began learning how her mom made certain dishes, so when she got out in the world she was the most comfortable in the kitchen. I haven't read a lot of books by chefs but this one has to be one of the best food related memoirs I've read. I loved how Hamilton describes everything, very matter of factly. Everything from the butchering of lambs to almost going to prison for Grand Larceny gets similar treatment. Hamilton has a very conversational tone. I like to think she told me this story while we sat in her New York restaurant eating soft cheeses and cured meats. There might have some bread with salted butter too. I loved her time in Italy. I just wanted to move into her mother in law's villa by the sea and make fresh pasta all day. But I could see how all these situations made her a better chef.
Highly recommended for food lovers. Others who shared their thoughts on Blood, Bones, and Butter: The Nervous Cook, My Vermont Kitchen, Amused by Books, and Satisfaction for Insatiable Readers.

3 comments:

  1. I love foodie memoirs - will add this to my list. Over the summer I read The Language of Baklava by Diana Abu-Jaber, but haven't reviewed it yet... food, life in two cultures, plus recipes. You might like it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, I like and dislike books that make me hungry, cos I can never make anything that yummy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard about that book on NPR! I need to go hunt it down.

    ReplyDelete

Shiny! I love comments.