Thursday, September 22, 2011

Sweet Valley Confidential: Ten Years Later by Francine Pascal


When I picked up Sweet Valley Confidential off the shelf, I knew it wasn't going to be good. I'd heard some pretty bad reviews of it, but I never expected it to be this awful. There was no redeeming part of this book. I was a fan of the Sweet Valley High and Sweet Valley Twins as a kid. I was originally excited to read about Jessica and Elizabeth as adults. Ugh, I needed a lobotomy after reading this shit.
Ten years have changed Jessica and Elizabeth. The twins have had a falling out. Elizabeth is mean and angry. I understand the betrayal she feels but there's a scene where Elizabeth starts throwing things. Elizabeth was graceful and poised before. I didn't even know who these characters were. I tried to read it as if I had no connection to the characters but it didn't help. I couldn't understand their motivations. Everything felt forced. 
To quote a review on Goodreads by Jennifer: "To say I was disappointed in this book is an understatement. To say that I felt my childhood was dragged out, beaten and raped and then set aflame would be more accurate." I felt the same way. I recommend that you stay the hell away from this book. Others who shared their thoughts on Sweet Valley Confidental: Ten Years Later: My Overstuffed Bookshelf, I Read Banned Books, Feeding My Book Addiction, Books Devoured, ChickLitReviews, and Debbie's World Of Books.

4 comments:

  1. I read a few reviews and realized it had to be crap, so not reading it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was this even written by the original author? I never ever read this series but it's quite a shame that this one was even published!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never read the Sweet Valley High books as a kid, so I'm not particularly drawn to this one...and thank goodness, it sounds terrible!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know, isn't it so sad :( I loved the original series.

    ReplyDelete

Shiny! I love comments.