Thursday, September 29, 2011

Kickboxing Geishas by Veronica Chambers

I picked up Kickboxing Geishas because the title sounded interesting and I'm interested in learning more about Japanese culture (my husband is half-Japanese). While it wasn't everything I hoped it would be, it gave me a good place to start.
Part sociological study, part memoir, Chambers lived in Japan for years. She discussed what women are looking for and what women want in Japan. A lot of reviews on Goodreads mentioned that Chambers was too involved in the story. I almost think she'd have to be. To ask women in a society that's just beginning to give women the allowance to have an opinion to submit to a real study would be ludicrous. Chambers even mention having a difficult time just finding women to talk to her. The idea that one Japanese woman would have something different to say than another Japanese woman wasn't normal when Chambers wrote this book in 2006. I think times have changed and you probably could do better studies especially with the younger women. But I enjoyed Chambers juxtaposition as an American woman with the Japanese women, who did not have a lot of choice until recently.
I think it's a good beginning if you are looking to learn a little about Japanese culture. Others who shared their thoughts on Kickboxing Geishas: Bench Graffiti, su[shu], and Azuki's Book Cafe.

3 comments:

  1. Oh I do not know...but good review of this memoir/book

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this would be interesting...I would like to know if shue could get more input the Japanese women now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this would be interesting...I would like to know if shue could get more input the Japanese women now.

    ReplyDelete

Shiny! I love comments.