Thursday, November 1, 2012

Messenger by Lois Lowry

So my friend, Jen, also loaned me Messenger, the third in The Giver Quartet. She made sure to mention I should read this after Gathering Blue. Once I finished Gathering Blue and started on Messenger, I completely understood. Messenger takes place several years after Gathering Blue and revolves around a similar cast of characters. I'm glad I read them so close together because I adored little Matty in Gathering Blue and was excited to see him again in Messenger.
I hate to spoil Gathering Blue, so I'm going to be vague here. Matty lives with the Seer. He's left his village and gone to a more welcoming village. This village welcomes those who have fled their original villages. Matty enjoys welcoming new people and loves how welcoming his neighbors are. But things start to change. People talk about a trading mart and things they receive. No one talks about the trades they make, only of what they receive.
Messenger had more of a supernatural twist to it then Gathering Blue or The Giver. Between the trading mart and the forest, there was more supernatural forces at work here. And since it seemed unusual to me, I had a hard time with this supernatural forest. A forest were branches turned and stabbed people? When the other stories had very little supernatural elements to them this was jarring to me. But that was my only gripe. I'm not going to give anything away but the end killed me. Again I don't cry but the end was so sad!
I loved Messenger and would really recommend it. I've my spot on the library queue for Son, the last in The Giver Quartet. Others who shared their thoughts on Messenger: Jules' Book Review, The Mad Reviewer, Everlilly.net, and Jamie B Reviews.

1 comment:

Shiny! I love comments.