Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Beef Stroganoff Again!

After I made beef stroganoff the other week, Cindy emailed me about her mom's beef stroganoff. She offered me the recipe so I made it again using Cindy's recipe. So here with her permission (of course) is her mom's recipe:

Beef Stroganoff

2 lbs. ground beef (more or less)
1 medium onion, chopped
2-3 stalks celery, chopped
1 can chicken broth
salt & pepper (to taste)
garlic powder (to taste)
2 bay leaves
Tabasco sauce (1-2 dashes)
1 bag medium egg noodles
16 oz. sour cream (reduced fat if you want, I prefer the real stuff)
1. Brown and drain the beef. Put back in the pot over medium-low heat.
2. Add the onion, celery, chicken broth, and seasonings (salt, pepper, garlic, bay leaf, tobasco). (side note: I'm not sure why my mom uses chicken broth, I'm sure beef would probably be fine, I think it's just a flavor preference.)
3. Let all that stuff simmer until the onion and celery are cooked way down and soft - like until the onion is basically clear. Maybe 20-30 minutes? Something like that.
4. In a separate pot, cook your egg noodles. (That's the trickiest part for me, timing it so the egg noodles and meat are both done at the same time!)
5. Add your sour cream to your meat mixture, then stir until it's heated evenly. (Make sure it doesn't boil.)
6. Serve up your egg noodles with the meat and sauce on top. Pluck out those bay leaves before serving!

Here's what it looked like for me:
Cindy thinks her mom got this out a magazine so if it looks familiar to you, that's why. Tai and I liked it. I would cut back on the chicken broth because it was slightly too runny for me. And I added mushrooms cause Tai loves them. But a great weeknight meal. Thanks, Cindy!

5 comments:

  1. Mushrooms make everything taste better.

    It's a Snow Day in blog-o-land!
    http://tinyurl.com/5fqkl8

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time to break out the shovels!
    http://tinyurl.com/5sdv2g

    The snowmen are attacking:
    http://tinyurl.com/5k5a5z

    ReplyDelete
  3. SNOW DAY!

    http://intbride.blogspot.com/2008/12/snow-day.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks yummy! NY resolution = cook more.

    Thanks for the linkage ;-) Nice to see that someone thinks my little blog/life is "interesting"!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, thanks. I think I might try it with some mushrooms next time, if Dave doesn't object. I love mushrooms, but Dave is sort of indifferent about them.

    ReplyDelete

Shiny! I love comments.