Monday, April 4, 2011

The Carrie Diaries by Candace Bushnell

I love Sex And The City. I'd love to say I'm a Carrie but I'm really more of a Miranda. I was on the fence about reading The Carrie Diaries. I'm a creature of comfort. I like staying with those things I'm familiar with. But did I want to know about Carrie as a teen? Part of the reason I liked Sex And The City was the girls. Carrie without Charlotte, Miranda and Samantha was a little strange. I finally decided to read it cause I heard there were going to be more pre-SATC books coming out.
At first I didn't like The Carrie Diaries. In the first 150 pages I kept thinking I'll finish this and not continue the series. As far as Young Adult books go this one seemed pretty bad. Carrie was nothing like I know her in her later years. She seems to let things happen to her. She doesn't seem fabulous. In fact she didn't feel real. And when you know how someone is going to turn out it ruins the mystery in their beginnings. But then something happened, she started acting like a normal person, not a character. She started to jump off the page for me. Then I couldn't put the book down.
I kept trying to figure out which of her teen friends were Miranda, Samantha and Charlotte. I think Mouse was the most Miranda like. Maggie was a little like Charlotte and Samantha put together. In the end I enjoyed learning more about her back story. I always wondered why they didn't talk about her family on the show. I will be reading the next one-Summer And the City.
Others who shared their thoughts on The Carrie Diaries: Dream In Dreamland, Viva La Fashion, Thoughts of A Mad Hatter and Confessions of A Book Addict.
This was my seventh read for the YA Reading Challenge

5 comments:

  1. I am curious but at the same time I would so give up after 150 pages ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to stick with the show which I adored too!! I've never read a book by Bushnell!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. kudos to you for sticking around longer than you had to! :) also, now i'm super interested in knowing what happened to her family - i always wondered that on the show too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to read this one either! I just hope my expectations from the TV show, don't ruin the book for me

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was kind of disappointed with this one. The parent plot really conflicted with the show.

    Did you see that the Sweet Valley High author wrote a new book about the Wakefield twins at age 27. I'm 3/4ths through and it's OK. Her YA writing style doesn't translate to adult writing very well. But, I am reading it anyway as Andy was in the hospital this week, so it was about all the complexity I could handle.

    Your booklist overwhelms me. You must be a speedreader.

    ReplyDelete

Shiny! I love comments.