Tuesday, April 12, 2011

A Separate Country by Robert Hicks

I picked up A Separate Country for the War Through The Generations. It's the story of General Hood and his wife, Anna Marie. Hood moves to New Orleans after the war is over. In trying to have a life after the war, Hood meets Anna Marie, a society woman. She's used to a life of balls. Hood, a former Confederate General, struggles to find a way to support his family.
Told in alternating voice, Anna Marie, Hood and Eli, a man affected by Hood's actions on the battlefield. The story goes back through Anna Marie's childhood and her friends. It was interesting to see how Anna Marie's past affects their future. I liked how the story weaved through time. The writing was beautiful and I felt transported to post-American Civil War New Orleans. Sadly I didn't connect to Hood, Anne Marie, or Eli. While I found the story solid, I just couldn't feel engaged in it.
It was a worthwhile read (less battle information than My Name Is Mary Sutter) especially if you like historical romances set in New Orleans. Others who shared their thoughts on A Separate Country: Bermuda Onion, The Serenity Gate, American Civil War Stories and Medieval Bookworm.

4 comments:

  1. Meh, I need to connect to peeps so dunno about this one then

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so want to read this one. I almost bought it a used book sale a few months ago...guess I should have!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen the cover of this several times and always thought it looked interesting, but didn't know a lot about it. Although after learning a little more what to expect, I think I'd really enjoy reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I'll consider this for the challenge! Thanks for the review. Your review is featured on War Through the Generations today. Click here to view the post. :)

    ReplyDelete

Shiny! I love comments.