Thursday, April 7, 2011

Firelight by Sophie Jordan

Wow, I really enjoyed Firelight. I was pretty interested based on the premise (people who shapeshift into dragons or draki in this book). And while some of the story was a little forced, I found myself unable to put it down. By the way, how gorgeous is the cover. Probably half the reason I wanted to read it!
Firelight is the story of Jacinda, a draki. Jacinda, her mom, and her sister live in a community of other draki, a pride. Jacinda's pretty rare. She's the first firebreathing draki in over 400 years. Some stuff goes down forcing Jacinda, her mom and her sister to leave the pride. This forces them to integrate into normal human life. Something Jacinda hates and resents but necessary for their survival. This is where Jacinda became spoiled whiny brat. It was really hard to like Jacinda when she's ranting and raving at her mom for trying to protect her. But here's what made the book worthwhile for me: Will. Swoon! Jacinda meets Will and he makes her draki light up. He's perfect-smart, funny, caring, the complete package. Except for his family who hunt draki. All very Romeo and Juliet.
Highly recommended. Looking forward to the next book in the series. Others who shared their thoughts on Firelight: The Broke And The Bookish, That's Life, I Read Banned Books, Deb's World Of Books, Simply Nerdy Book Reviews, The Nerd's Wife, Books From Bleh to Basically Amazing, The Book Scout, Chick Lit Teen and A Fanatic's Book Blog.
This is my eighth book for the YA Reading Challenge.
And my third book from my TBR Challenge.

3 comments:

  1. I do not know how, but the library is getting this book! Wohoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one sounds absolutely adorable! I love that R&J twist to it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the premise of this book sounds really interesting and am looking forward to reading it myself! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete

Shiny! I love comments.