Wednesday, April 27, 2011

To Defy A King by Elizabeth Chadwick

After reading Staci's review of To Defy A King, I immediately added it to my library queue. And I'm glad I did. To Defy A King is everything I want in historical fiction: engaging, well paced and intriguing. I could not put this book down. I thought about it when I wasn't reading it and I dreamt about it at night.
Mahelt is a wonderful character. Strong, beautiful, determined. Hugh is dreamy, kind and smart. All the side characters (Ida, Longespee, Ela, Richard and William) added to the story and my enjoyment. I didn't know anything about King John's reign but Chadwick patiently lays out the story. Plenty of rich details made me fall in love with historical fiction all over again.
Highly recommended. Others who shared their thoughts on To Defy A King: Life In The Thumb, Laura's Reviews, Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell, In The Hammock, The Maiden's Court and Debbie's Book Bag.

2 comments:

  1. I am glad you liked it too :D She is the best. History just comes alive

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'd really like this too. I haven't read a lot about King John's actual reign, but I'm always looking to read about new historical figures.

    ReplyDelete

Shiny! I love comments.