Friday, November 11, 2011

An Awesome Surprise

The other day Tai emailed me to let me know he had a surprise for me. A coworker had given him something he knew I would like. I wondered all day about what it could be. No, it wasn't that pony I've been wishing for since I was eight. It was a jackfruit!
I've been in love with jackfruit since the first and last time I had it-Vietnamese New Year last year! Tai had told his coworker how much I enjoyed jackfruit so his coworker was able to pick me up one. Thanks Quinn!
But I had no idea how to cut it. I found this helpful internet video to explain how to cut a jackfruit. And from that huge fruit I got this bowl of jackfruit:
There was more but I kept eating it as I cut it. Each piece has a seed, about the size of a marble, inside. It's difficult to describe the taste of jackfruit. I say it a combo of orange and mango but I saw someone else describe as pineapple and mango. I'd say that could be accurate too.
Excuse me, I'm off to enjoy my jackfruit!
*****************
Happy Veteran's Day to all those who have served and are currently serving our country. Thank you!!!

3 comments:

  1. I've never even heard of this fruit!! It looks like the middle of a giant sunflower in the top photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the canned in brine stuff, it's an amazing meat substitute. I didn't realize you could eat it fresh, and that it was sweet! Doubt I can find it around here, but I'm definitely intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum was browsing your blog and coulsn't help commenting on this one. LOVE jackfruit, it's one of my fav fruits.

    When I and my sisters were small, my dad used to buy the whole fruit and then cut it. I remember gathering around him waiting for him to finish cutting it. Fun times...

    Now a days I buy it already cut. Makes it easier and without the mess.

    ReplyDelete

Shiny! I love comments.