Monday, November 14, 2011

Texas Gothic by Rosemary Clement-Moore

Synopsis from Goodreads:
Amy Goodnight's family is far from normal. She comes from a line of witches, but tries her best to stay far outside the family business. Her summer gig? Ranch-sitting for her aunt with her wacky but beautiful sister. Only the Goodnight Ranch is even less normal than it normally is. Bodies are being discovered, a ghost is on the prowl, and everywhere she turns, the hot neighbor cowboy is in her face.


I picked up Texas Gothic because I had enjoyed The Splendor Falls so much. Sadly I wasn't as taken with Texas Gothic as I was by The Splendor Falls but it was a great ghost story.
Yes, a ghost story. Such a great book to read at this time of year. Amy and her sister Phin are staying at her aunt's house while their aunt is taking a well-deserved vacation. All the Goodnight's have some paranormal ability. Phin studies preternatural science and tries to collect evidence of ghosts. Their cousin Daisy is a clairvoyant. And Amy, well Amy is tired of being a Goodnight. She doesn't want to use spells and potions. She wants people to think she and her family are normal. Unfortunately all sorts of spooky things start happening after Amy and Phin show up and people are not convinced of their normalcy.
I felt like I was dropped in the middle of the story right from the beginning. It took me a while to get into the story. I don't think I was really engrossed in the story until towards the end. It seemed like every time I had a handle on what was going on, another character would show up or we'd learn another fact about the characters that changed everything. When things seem arbitrary, I had a hard time caring.
I wouldn't recommend rushing out and picking this one up. But it wasn't a terrible read. If this one finds its way to you, I would read it. Others who shared their thoughts on Texas Gothic: Resugo's Bookish Paradise, Ink Scratchers, Shooting Stars Mag, and The Crooked Shelf.
This was my twenty-seventh read for the YA Reading Challenge.
 

1 comment:

  1. I hate it when I feel like I have no clue as to what is going on in a book!!! Thanks for sharing your honest opinion with us!

    ReplyDelete

Shiny! I love comments.