Monday, November 7, 2011

The Poison Eaters by Holly Black

I added The Poison Eaters to my queue after reading about it on The Written World. I've enjoyed the other stories I've ready by Holly Black and I enjoyed this one too.
There are twelve stories, most of them I enjoyed. I especially liked The Land of Heart's Desire which returns to the Tithe world. My least favorite was The Dog King. All the supernatural folk get at least one story-werewolves, vampires, faeries. I liked that The Night Market was set in the Philippines and added their local lore to the faery myths. The Coat of Stars added Hispanic traditions to the faery myths too. I enjoyed how most of the stories caught me quickly. I wished several of them were longer. I enjoyed them too much.
I would recommend The Poison Eaters to anyone who enjoys Holly Black's writing. The stories are short and the collection is a little more than 200 pages. But still a very satisfying read. Others who shared their thoughts on The Poison Eaters: The Written World, ComaCalm's Corner, and The Zealous Reader.

2 comments:

  1. I really need to try short stories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm curious about this one. I say I don't enjoy short story collections, but it probably because I just don't give them a try. Most would be perfect for before bed reading.

    ReplyDelete

Shiny! I love comments.