Friday, November 18, 2011

Squirrel Seeks Chimpmunk by David Sedaris

From Goodreads:
If animals were more like us, if mice kept pets and toads could cuss, if dogs had wives and chipmunks dated, sheep sat still and meditated, then in the forest, field, and dairy you might find this bestiary, read by storks, by rats and kitties, skimmed by cows with milk-stained titties. "I found the book to be most droll," might quip the bear, the owl, the mole, Others, though, would be more coarse. "Bull," could say the pig and horse. As to the scribe, they'd quote the hen: "Trust me, he's no La Fontaine."


I picked up Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk because I do love David Sedaris' writing but I hadn't heard a lot about the book. For some bizarre reason I thought this was a children's book. No, it's not a children's book. In fact I think there are some adults that would be scarred by some of the stories. But it had me chuckling several times though. I am exactly the sick and twisted person that Sedaris wrote this book for.
Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk is a series of short stories about animals. The animals act like humans and most of the time they are doing adult things-having romances, working, and going to prison. Almost all the stories involve some sort of inter-species relationship-a squirrel that dates a chipmunk, a hippo and an owl that become friends, and a mouse that owns a pet snake. A lot of the stories are dark-plenty of deaths in this short book. But all the stories are satire, poking fun at the way humans are. I think the comparisons worked out well. 
I enjoyed Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk. But if you don't like anthropomorphic stories then this is not the book for you. If you don't want to read about graphic deaths of innocent animals, then this is definitely not the book for you. But if you like a good satire and enjoy Schadenfreude, then this would be the book for you. Others who shared their thoughts on Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk: You've Gotta Read This, The Perfect Binge, and A Good Stopping Point.

5 comments:

  1. I love David Sedaris but I don't know if I would enjoy this one. I didn't realize their was graphic deaths of innocent animals. I think I will just read Holidays on Ice again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love everything David Sedaris does, can't believe I missed this one. Amazon time :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you may be more twisted than I am!!! LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you mind if I go all awww and then wtf? Lol, I would think it was a kid
    s book too and then I would be scarred for life

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always been curious about this book! I get such a kick out of the title and hadn't really heard much about the content. I'll have to see if my library has it.

    ReplyDelete

Shiny! I love comments.