Thursday, October 3, 2013

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

I’ve actually tried to read The Great Gatsby in print several times but never got more than a few pages. When Staci mentioned that she listened to audio version read by Jake Gyllenhall, I was interested. I’m a big fan of Jake Gynellhall . But I don’t read a lot of audiobooks. I prefer paper books so I just filed it away for future reference. When we started going to the gym more, I wanted something other than music to listen. Enter a subscription to Audible and audiobooks. So The Great Gatsby was my gym book (an idea I stole from Jamie). While it’s a short book, it took me forever to listen to it since I don’t go to the gym as often as I should. Anyway, listening was the way to for me with The Great Gatsby. I really enjoyed it and looked forward to listening to it.
I quickly became interested in the characters. I liked Nick’s descriptions of people especially of Gatsby and his friends. Gyllenhall would change his voice slightly when he was speaking as Gatsby and all I could see was Leonardo DiCaprio. I haven’t seen Luhrmann's The Great Gatsby but hope to now that I’ve finished the book.
While I enjoyed The Great Gatsby it wasn’t my favorite. I can see why people like it. I usually have issues with “classics” and this was no different. Some of the outdated language put me off but the story was good. I’m glad I read it and can check it off my list of books to read. Others who shared their thoughts on The Great Gatsby: Cold Tea and Crumbs, Love, Laughter, and A Touch of Insanity, Devourer of Books, and Lost Inside The Covers.

1 comment:

  1. Hmm. I've read that book and haven't enjoyed it, but I've never been read to by Jake Gyllenhall before! I might like that!!!

    ReplyDelete

Shiny! I love comments.