Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Annie On My Mind by Nancy Garden

I put Annie On My Mind on my library queue after hearing about it on The Broke And The Bookish. I was looking forward to a sweet story about two teens falling in love. And I was not disappointed.
When reading Annie On My Mind, you have to keep in mind that this is the early 80's or possibly late 70's. While some people still share some of the ideas in the book, a great deal more people don't. Ok, I'm getting ahead of myself. Liza and Annie are seniors in high school, looking forward going to college. They meet at a museum and become fast friends. They come from different parts of New York, go to different schools but find common ground in their otherness. Neither feels like they fit in until they found each other. Their relationship goes from friends to something more. Then they are found out and have to go through the ramifications of everyone knowing they are gay. I found Liza and Annie to be sweet. I liked how their relationship progressed. It never felt rushed.
It was a great story for young adults about a relationship between two young women. I enjoyed the story. Others who shared their thoughts on Annie On My Mind: Youthadvocate, Revolutionary Lit, Dreaming In Books, and Troublingly Good Teen Lit.
This was my twenty-third read for the 2011 YA Reading Challenge.

3 comments:

  1. Nothing really tell me to read it, but I am glad you enjoyed it :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, first I've heard of it but it sounds like it approaches a touchy topic with poise and grace. Nice find...enjoyed the review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought this was a great book. One of the reasons why I read it was of course because it's banned so many places. For the life of me there isn't anything in that book to ban. It's just about love.....

    ReplyDelete

Shiny! I love comments.