Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The Year Of Living Biblically by AJ Jacobs

When I spotted The Year Of Living Biblically on the library shelf, I remembered I had wanted to read it when I first heard about it. I found the premise to be interested and I wasn't disappointed.
Jacobs decides to live his modern Manhattan life as close to they did back in Biblical times. He spent about 8 months studying and following the Old Testament and the remainder of the year studying the New Testament. From this line:
"I am officially Jewish, but I’m Jewish in the same way the Olive Garden is an Italian restaurant."
 Probably my favorite line in the whole book. I enjoyed reading about Jacobs' adventures and they were adventures. While Jacobs' was writing this book, his wife was pregnant for the second time. It made for a lot of funny situations. Jacobs also met with the Amish, rabbis, ministers, and other religious folks. I enjoyed how he explained the different rules and how different religions interpret them. While there are certain religion and religious practices that Jacobs didn't get, he didn't judge. I actually found his journey inspiring. He didn't necessarily set out to become more religious but he kind of became more religious.
Recommended especially to those on their own spiritual journey. Others who shared their thoughts on The Year Of Living Biblically: Adventures In Flip Flops, Em and Emm Expound on Exposition, and Book Nut.

4 comments:

  1. Lol, perhaps not but I enjoyed the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw him when he was on the Today show and thought this would be an interesting read!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He came and spoke at an event for my organization and is just as funny in person. I thought the book was great and you are spot on about him not being judgmental.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a book that I've been wanting to read for awhile now. I'm thinking that when I finish with my current NF read I will give this one a try. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete

Shiny! I love comments.