Wednesday, December 19, 2007

A Dairy-Free Sunday

I have a confession to make. I love dairy. I love cheese, ice cream, and milk. I could eat nothing but dairy all day. But Tai, Tai's lactose intolerant. He loves cheese and ice cream (milk not so much) but it doesn't love him back.
I think he told me on our first or second date. It didn't seem like a big deal. He refused to eat dairy at the beginning so he'd make a good impression on me. But slowly dairy entered his diet. He hurt a lot. I tried to make food without cheese and that cut out lots of my meals. No more chicken parm, no more lasagna. I hate to start looking for other things to make.
Round that time I found Shauna's blog (if you've never read it, please go read it). Shauna is a celiac. Gluten does to her what dairy does to Tai. But Shauna's life isn't lacking from food. She eats well. Well she is married to a chef, but just because she can't eat gluten, doesn't mean she's just eating celery. So, I decided to do the same thing. I didn't want Tai to miss out on eating well just because he can't eat dairy.
You would not believe how much dairy is in everything. I was really proud of one meal only to find out the biscuits was making have real butter in them. Those biscuits aren't something I can make anymore. Sigh I'm on the look out for biscuits that don't have butter in them (I know I can make them at home, but as I learned with the bagels, I won't be making any bread products til I get a stand mixer). I'm focused on things I can make. Enter Sunday's quiche.
God, that's a horrible photo. Sadly this is the best one I got. I got the recipe here. There's a better photo there. I did not make the crust. I used a crust I bought at the grocery store. I just checked; it was dairy free. Yeah!
Next time I make this I will use less spinach (and take a better photo). It's a lot of spinach. But very yummy. Tai'd never had quiche so he didn't have a lot to compare it to. But he did like it. It was filling.
For dessert, I made vegan cheesecake:Tai wasn't as impressed as I was. The texture is very creamy which I really liked. I do think it's pretty tasty. I got the recipe from The Non-Dairy Queen who got it from here. It was definitely easy to make. I will make it again and try to make it less creamy.
I love Tai and I want him to be able to eat as well as I do. I don't want to suffer at all. Especially not by my hand. If he chooses to eat dairy when he's not a home, that's his choice. But the food I make at home will be dairy free.

1 comment:

  1. That is so wonderful the effort that you are making for a loved one. My husband opted to cut out dairy because of my milk allergy. He lost weight and felt better, so he ended up being grateful for it, and has never wanted to go back : )

    ReplyDelete

Shiny! I love comments.