Thursday, December 8, 2011

The Postmistress by Sarah Blake

I chose to read The Postmistress after reading some glowing reviews when it first came out. At first I was hesitant, not really getting sucked into the story but about halfway through the book, I was hooked.
First I have to say the writing is amazing. You're just reading the story then, bam, there's all this detail. it's told so beautiful that it took my breath away. Then it would go back to the story which got really engaging to me after about page 50 or so.
At the beginning you had so many people with so many stories. Iris, the postmaster, watches the town and struggles to just watch. Harry, the town mechanic, believes that the German U-Boats will find their sleepy Cape Cod town. Emma, the new wife of the town's doctor, floats adrift after her husband leaves to help in England. And Frankie, the war correspondent, trying to bring the war to those at home in America. But each of their secrets and struggles slowly meld into one story.
I truly enjoyed The Postmistress after the slow start, it really picked up and kept me engaged. I think this would be an excellent book club book. There is plenty to discuss! Recommended. Others who shared their thoughts on The Postmistress: Book Journey, Bookfan, This Miss Loves To Read, You've GOTTA Read ThisBibliophile By The Sea, and Beth Fish Reads.
This was my ninth read for The Original TBR challenge.
 

5 comments:

  1. I felt the same way. Slow start but it definitely grew on me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will get it from the library one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a copy of this one somewhere..in fact, I think I loaned it out to a friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of those books that I've been wanting to read for some time now. 2012 is going to have to be the year that I read these books :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book has one of the most moving sections I have ever read about the holocaust. The section where Frankie is on the train moves me just thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete

Shiny! I love comments.