Friday, February 3, 2012

To End All Wars by Adam Hochschild

I choose to read To End All Wars for The War Through The Generations Challenge. I'm not as familiar with The Great War as I am with World War II so I decided I needed some history before diving into fiction about The Great War.
I don't know what to say about To End All Wars. I did enjoy aspects of it. I enjoyed knowing that people protested the war. When I hear about wars before Vietnam, it seems like dissenters and antiwar protests didn't happen. After reading To End All Wars, I decided that every war must have had some dissenters. I enjoyed all the information about the soliders. A great number of them wrote letters and kept diaries so there was a lot of information on how the soliders felt during the fighting and how their feeling changed over time. To End All Wars focuses on the British but there is also information on the Russian and German soliders. I disliked all the battle history. I'm just not a fan of learning about the battles, who moved where, and how many people died. Hoshschild does a great job in fleshing out the major players and the every day joes. But there were too many people and I had trouble remember who was who and honestly, I didn't care about the majority of the people. I thought John French and his sister, Charlotte Despard, were fascinating but their story only made it through half the book. I'd like to read more about Charlotte in the future.
Overall, To End All Wars filled the need I had. I learned a lot about The Great War. I wouldn't recommend it unless you enjoy military history. The information about the people wasn't enough to keep me interested. Others who shared their thoughts on To End All Wars: The Arts Fuse, Tendance Coatesy, and Semicolon.
This was my first read for the War Through The Generations challenge.

3 comments:

  1. Dunno about this one...dunno at all

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you...I want to read more about the human story and not the details of the battles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. we’ve linked to your review on the WWI reviews page and a snippet of your review will post on the home page on Feb. 16

    ReplyDelete

Shiny! I love comments.