Monday, June 9, 2014

Better Off Friends by Elizabeth Eulberg

I don't remember how I heard about Better Off Friends but I'm glad I did. It's a sweet book about friendship and first love.

Macallan is about to start seventh grade. She's looking forward to the routine. But she's less then thrilled when she's asked to show Levi, the new kid around. Levi has long blond hair and doesn't seem to be very interesting until Levi and Macallan discover they love the same quirky British tv show. Then they become instant friends. Neither Macallan nor Levi think it's odd that they become best friends even if they aren't the same gender.

Better Off Friends is told in an alternating format. So Macallan has a chapter, then Levi. They both have these adorable side conversations in the middle of the chapters. We start off with eleven year olds and quickly move to Macallan and Levi being 16, 17. My only gripe with Better Off Friends was that their conversations seemed to be too adult for kids. Also the transitions between them being 11 year olds then going to high school were a bit muddy for me at times.

But I loved both Macallan and Levi. Levi's a fish of water. Wisconsin is a long way from California. He obviously misses California but sees Wisconsin as a fresh start, a place to be different. Macallan's had her share of tragedy. Levi likes her for her, not because her mom died. I liked how Eulberg examined the male/female friendship. Levi and Macallan wanted to be there for each other despite the awkwardness sometimes. Almost like a younger when Harry Met Sally.

I couldn't put Better Off Friends down. I enjoyed it very much and I will be looking for more books by Eulberg. Others who shared their thoughts about Better Off Friends: Nerdy Book Club, Alexa Loves Books, The Book Scout, and Confessions of A Book Addict.

2 comments:

  1. I have been seeing this book around everywhere lately. I guess you just finally convinced me to read it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Shiny! I love comments.