Monday, September 28, 2009

Do The Puyallup!

On Friday Tai and I headed to the Puyallup Fair, largest fair in Western Washington. It was Tai's first time there and his first county fair he's been to. It's by far my favorite fair. Plenty of good fair food, lots of animals and interesting hobbies & crafts to look at.
Since the fair at it's roots is an agricultural fair there was plenty of produce to look at.

I love how creative people can get.
Then we had to see all the animals. Sadly the cows and pigs weren't available to visit when we were there. But we saw lots of sheep, some donkeys and a zebu.

But the real reason we went to the fair was the food.

We decided to try a deep fried twinkie. We each took a bite and promptly dumped it. It was a lot of dough and not very tasty.

I had to get my roasted corn. It was damn tasty.

We stopped at BBQ Pete's for some ribs. Yeah this was definitely too much for the 2 of us but we wound up sharing with the family next to us.  

I had to get my scones before we left. I got a bag to go so we'd have some for breakfast.




Tai'd never had a scone. He really liked them and was glad I brought some home. He devoured half the bag for breakfast!
We had a great time. I don't know if we'll go every year but we'll definitely go again.
The title has to do with the song for the fair. I couldn't find the youtube version but the website does have the song for you to hear. It's terribly goofy but most people who've lived here for a number of years can sing at least the chorus when you mention the Puyallup Fair.
And for those of you who aren't local, Puyallup is named for the Puyallup tribe of Native Americans. It's about an hour south of Seattle so the drive there was fun :)

11 comments:

  1. I've never tried the fried twinkie but I have had a deep fried candy bar. I think that works out a lot better because it doesn't already have dough around it.

    I haven't been to a county fair in ages, but I still remember just how boring tractor pulls are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I LOVE LOVE LOVE fairs! it reminds me of being a kid! i could eat that corn all day long!

    did you get any cotton candy? that's the best part of the fair. now i'm a bit addicted to it, i have to get it at any sporting event or store i see it!

    looked like you had a blast!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi...I've been enjoying your blog. I can't wait to look through your wedding posts. I am a newlywed myself! How fun. :) -Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we're going to try and go the the state fair of Texas in a couple of weeks. I don't know that there are any county fairs around here - but the state fair is in Dallas.
    I've tried the fried Twinkie - it was okay. Every year they have some new fried thing that is THE THING to get at the fair. This year it's fried butter. Seriously. Oh, and fried peaches, which should be good.

    I'm looking forward to it, although it's usually hot, crowded, and expensive. If I go, I'll be sure to take and post a pic of Big Tex.

    ReplyDelete
  5. omg a fried twinkie!? yikes! something you gotta try at least once i suppose. :) it looks awfully yummy...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmm, fair food! I love random deep fried treats. I'd totally eat a deep fried twinkie just for the novelty of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love fairs and that looks like a fun one! I'm with you though, that fried twinkie does not look appetizing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fair food...yum!! My fave is the fries with vinegar and of course elephant ears!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the first picture where they arranged their produce in a rainbow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum.yum.yum.

    I just want a state fair corny dog!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE state fairs... and county fairs, too but our county ones are lame here in NJ.

    Those first few pictures in your post look like something out of an I SPY book! lol

    ReplyDelete

Shiny! I love comments.