Monday, October 24, 2011

Address Unknown by Katherine Kressmann Taylor

I added Address Unknown to my tbr list after reading about it on Lisa's blog. I can't believe I'd never heard of this short bestselling story about two men at the start of World War 2.
This is a short book, 64 pages, but not one that will soon leave you. The story is told through letters between two friends, Max and Martin. Martin has recently returned home to Germany after starting a successful business in America with Max. They have a gallery. Martin has gotten wealthy and returned back to Germany. Martin is proud of his accomplishments and sad at the beginning about the poverty he sees in Germany. But quickly the letters turn to Hitler, who Martin describes as a "Glorious Leader". The friends find themselves at odds as Martin becomes a Hitler devotee and Max learns more about the atrocities being committed to his people, the Jews, in his native county.
The letter format really works here. The writing is exquisite. Each letter is short, only a page or two but tells so much. The tone of the letters and the language make this tiny book seem so much bigger.
Highly recommended. It's such a short book. I read it in less than an hour. But it will give you so much to think about. This would be an excellent book club choice. Others who shared their thoughts on Address Unknown: Happily Ever After...In Seattle, Yorkshire Soul, and Books and Cooks.
This was my eighth read for the Original TBR Challenge.

2 comments:

  1. I checked out Lisa's thoughts on this one and added with yours makes for a very compelling read. I'm going to be searching this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That can't end well :( But sounds like an interesting book of letters

    ReplyDelete

Shiny! I love comments.