Monday, October 17, 2011

A Guide To Elegance by Genevieve Dariaux

I added A Guide To Elegance after reading Elegance last year. I assumed it would be a bit dated. The original book was published in 1964 but the copy I read was "updated" in 2003. After reading this bit:
When comfort becomes an end in itself, it is the Public Enemy Number One of elegance. page 32
I like to be comfortable. I knew then that Madame Dariaux and I were not going to get along. Now she doesn't recommend being uncomfortable but in making an effort to be comfortable, elegance isn't going to follow. This book certainly didn't get me to change my comfortable ways. I did appreciate some of the tips about choosing coats and formal wear. I laughed at the parts about wearing gloves and stockings. I don't know anyone who wears either on a regular basis.
Overall it was an interesting fast read. It would be a great resource if you want to dress more elegantly and have the time and money to spend on quality clothes. Others who shared their thoughts on Elegance: The Vintage Traveler, Penny Farthing, and A Striped Armchair.

2 comments:

  1. Hm..dunno, must google this book some ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I steer away from elegance and go for comfort every time!! :D

    ReplyDelete

Shiny! I love comments.