Thursday, September 3, 2015

The Martian by Andy Weir

I was really on the fence about reading The Martian. I heard there was a lot of science. I like science but I was worried about it being too academic for me. Weir does a great job of telling you enough but making it easy to understand for the most part. I enjoyed The Martian more than I thought I would.

Mark Watney is a botanist and engineer. He's also funny and stranded on Mars. Mark must find a way to survive until NASA can send its' next manned spaceship in four years. Watching Mark McGyver his way through his stay on Mars was entertaining. I loved reading how he figured stuff out. Mark isn't a character I'll soon forget. He made me laugh and hold my breath in suspense. I hated putting The Martian down. I would tell Mark to stay safe until I came back!

The Martian was a fun read. I don't know if all the science was sound but it was fun anyway. I'm really looking forward to the movie. And I would be interested in reading another book from Weir. Others who shared they thoughts on The Martian: My Thousand Lives, Dear Author, Light Is Beautiful, and Battles and Book Reviews.

4 comments:

  1. I loved this one! So much fun. Looking forward to the movie, although not one of the casting was how I pictured the characters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband loved this book, but I have yet to read it yet. He is also looking forward to the movie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite comment about the book is "It's not science fiction!" It's like the poster child for science fiction, which I think is a good thing. I think the science is mostly right (the author even did all sorts of programming to make sure the timing of the space flights worked out) but I didn't care because the characters made it feel right anyway. I enjoyed it a lot.

    ReplyDelete

Shiny! I love comments.