Thursday, December 20, 2012

Blackberry Winter by Sarah Jio

I grabbed Blackberry Winter off the library shelf because I'm always hearing rave reviews about Jio's books. I was not disappointed. Jio sucked me in and I read Blackberry Winter in one day!
Blackberry Winter weaves the stories of Vera, a mother in 1930's Seattle and Claire, a wife and journalist living in modern Seattle. I loved how it was set in Seattle. But the stories were interesting and deep. Vera loses her 3 year old son in a rare late spring snow storm.  Years later, Claire is reeling from the loss of her unborn child. Claire's editor gives her the assignment of writing about about the 1933 snow storm and the current snow storm. At first Claire isn't interested in the snow storm but after some research she stumbles onto Vera's story. Claire identifies with the loss Vera feels and decides to find out what happened to Vera's son.
Jio's writing is amazing. I was transfixed immediately. Jio is a fantastic storyteller. I enjoyed knowing about Claire and Vera. And I loved how their stories intertwined. Nothing seemed forced or revealed too quickly. I really felt for Claire and Vera and their struggles.
I really enjoyed Blackberry Winter. I can't wait to recommend Others who shared their thoughts on Blackberry Winter: The Perpetual Page-Turner, Devourer of Books, Beth Fish Reads, and Life In The Thumb.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds so good! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!! Now you have to read her other ones!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember reading Sarah Jio's blog back when she wrote for Glamour, and was so excited when I heard she was coming out with books. Of course I still haven't read anything by her, but I'm sure when I finally do, I'll love her just like everyone else seems to.

    ReplyDelete

Shiny! I love comments.