Monday, December 17, 2012

Son by Lois Lowry

I've finished The Giver trilogy! I'm glad I waited til this year to read The Giver since Son came out this year allowing me to read all four books in one year. Son certainly did tie up a lot of the stories in The Giver trilogy and gave a good ending to the series.
Son starts back in the community that Jonas lived in during The Giver but this time we see the events through Claire's eyes. Claire is a birthmother and she gives birth to Thirty-six or as you might remember him from The Giver, Gabe. Like Jonas, Claire starts to have feelings and has trouble living in the community.
Claire's story is told in three parts. Part one is in the community. Part two is in another community. And part three is in the community where Kira and Jonas now live. I enjoyed hearing more about Jonas and Kira. Lowry tried to wrap up all the stories (Jonas, Kira, Claire, and Gabe). I felt that was difficult but I was satisfied with the ending.
Overall I enjoyed Son. It was a good ending to the The Giver series. Others who shared their thoughts on Son: Becky's Book Reviews, Overflowing Heart Reviews, Escape Through The Pages, and Jonathan Likes Books.

2 comments:

  1. This book is on my list to read. It's been ages since I read the Giver so I might have to go back and refresh my memory a bit. I loved all of these books so Son has my attention!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked it. I'm going to have to get to it myself, but like Staci, it's been quite a while since I last read the trilogy. Hmm.. maybe six or seven years ago!

    ReplyDelete

Shiny! I love comments.