Monday, December 24, 2012

Joy For Beginners by Erica Bauermeister

Bauermeister is another other I always see good reviews for. So when I saw Joy for Beginners on the library shelf, I knew I just had to pick it up. I'm glad I did. I enjoyed Joy for Beginners and am anxious to pick up Bauermeister's other books.
The story beings with Kate. Kate's recently had breast cancer and now her cancer has gone into remission. To celebrate, Kate has a party with her friends, six women who have been her friends through this trial and others. At the party, Kate reveals that her daughter, Robin, has planned a trip in the summer for Kate and Robin to raft the Grand Canyon. The trip terrifies Kate and she longs to back out. Her friends insist she goes. Kate decides to give each woman a task, something that scares them, since they decided that she go on the rafting trip. Each chapter talks about each woman and what her challenge was. I liked the unique challenges Kate made up for each woman. Some seemed simple like learn to make bread or toss her ex's books. And some were difficult like walk the Breast Cancer 3 day walk. I enjoyed hearing about each woman's journey to complete her challenge.
Overall I enjoyed Joy For Beginners. I'm definitely going to look for more Bauermeister's books. Others who shared their thoughts on Joy for Beginners: Bibliophile by The SeaYou've GOTTA Read This, She's Too Fond of Books, MostlyFiction Book Reviews, Diary of An Eccentric, and Rhapsody in Books.

2 comments:

  1. I read this one a while ago, and while I did enjoy it, I can't say I loved it. I think what I loved most was getting all the stories of everyone. I read a book called The Christmas Cookie Club, which I always liked that had a similar formula of each one telling their story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this one on audio so i am looking forward to listening to it for sure!! I loved her other books!!!

    ReplyDelete

Shiny! I love comments.