Friday, December 28, 2012

The Persecution of Mildred Dunlap by Paulette Mahurin

As you know I don't usually accept many books for review. Usually cause it takes me so long to read them or I don't have interest in the books pitched. But when I got Paulette's request to read The Persecution of Mildred Dunlap, I immediately said yes. I'm always looking to read more books with LGBT characters.
Mildred lives in a small Nevada town on the farm her parents left her. Mildred lives with her cousin, Edra. Mildred and Edra are a couple, something they have taken great pains to hide from the rest of the town. Mildred is already scorned by the town since she's not beautiful and she's got money. Mildred does her best to help others and try to avoid the wrath of Josie Purdue, Mildred's biggest enemy. When the story beings, the town has just heard that Oscar Wilde has been imprisoned after being caught having relations with another man. The town is full people condemning Wilde and gay people. Most of Mildred's neighbors find the idea of two men together disgusting and no qualms about sharing their opinion with everyone. Mildred starts to fear for Edra and herself. Mildred hatches a plan to "woo" a recent widower with the hopes that he'll reject her. 
Mahurin does a great job of fleshing out the characters from Mildred and Edra to Charley, the widower, and Gus, the general store owner. Mahurin patiently gives the right amount of backstory at the right time. I really enjoyed the pacing of the story. I wanted to run Josie over with my car but I had to remember that there are many people out there who believe that some are less than others. I didn't agree but it served as a good reminder that not everyone is tolerant and accepting.
Overall I enjoyed The Persecution of Mildred Dunlap. It reminded me that many are persecuted and there are plenty of people willing to persecute. Others who shared their thoughts on The Persecution of Mildred Dunlap: Literary Inklings, Sally's Book Reviews and More, Diary of An Eccentric, and The Book Town.

1 comment:

  1. This is a new author to me and the whole synopsis does interest me!

    ReplyDelete

Shiny! I love comments.