Sunday, March 17, 2013

Weekend Cooking: The Kitchen Counter Cooking School by Kathleen Flinn

I've checked out The Kitchen Counter Cooking School at least 3 times from the library. I'm glad I kept checking it out. It was a great read and really reinspired me in the kitchen.
I read Flinn's The Sharper Your Knife, The Less You Cry a couple of years ago. I enjoyed it but I enjoyed The Kitchen Counter Cooking School more. The Sharper Your Knife was about Flinn's experience at Le Cordon Bleu. The Kitchen Counter was about real life. As a part of a real life experiment, Flinn decides to offer free cooking classes those who have little cooking experience or those who believe they are poor cooks. Flinn chooses her pupils by what they can do and what they eat. The majority of her students don't cook fresh vegetables. Most buy their groceries in boxes or rely on take out. Flinn attempts to teach them about real food and help them kick the processed food/fast food diet.
I am very interested in ditching processed foods and eating more real whole foods. I definitely enjoyed Flinn's lessons. Some were very basic but you could see that these are building blocks. You need to learn how to cut before you cook. I could relate to Flinn's students. I too fall into the trap of take out being quicker than making something at home false thinking. I also hate cooking for just myself (not that that's a regular thing). So I enjoyed the quick meal ideas, the tricks and ways to make cooking quicker and healthier.
I would definitely recommend The Kitchen Counter Cooking School to anyone who wants to learn more about cooking. Even accomplished home cooks will learn something. Others who shared their thoughts on The Kitchen Counter Cooking School: Love, Laughter, and A Touch of Insanity, Devourer of Books, Bookshelf Bombshells, Mother Daughter Book Club, and Chaotic Compendiums.




Weekend Cooking is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, fabulous quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend. Please link to your specific post, not your blog's home page. For more information, see the welcome post.

3 comments:

  1. So many people have loved this book and Flinn's advice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realize about needing to learn how to cut before you can really cook. I have this one on my Kindle so hopefully I will make time for it!

    ReplyDelete

Shiny! I love comments.