Monday, August 19, 2013

The Last Camellia by Sarah Jio

I've become a huge fan of Sarah Jio's books so when I heard The Last Camellia was out, I immediately put it on hold at the library. Overall, I loved The Last Camellia but was unhappy with part of the ending.
In 1940, Flora leaves New York for England. She tells her parents she got a job at the London Conservatory but she's really going to be a nanny. Well the nanny gig is cover while Flora seeks out a rare Camellia plant, The Middlebury Pink, for a fine flower thief. But Flora quickly finds herself wrapped up in mystery and romance.
In 2000, Addison and her husband are off to his parent's new summer home, Livingston Manor. Addison's got plenty of secrets and some of them are close to becoming exposed. Livingston Manor also has secrets. Will Addison be able to keep her secrets and expose Livingston Manor's secrets.
I enjoyed both Addison and Flora's stories. I loved how the wound up intertwining just like so many of Jio's other books. But I felt that Flora's story didn't get completely finished. Jio implies how it ended but I would have preferred it to be more fleshed out.
Overall, The Last Camellia was a wonderful story full of mystery and romance. I read it quickly in a day or two. Others who shared their thoughts on The Last Camellia: Bibliophile by The Sea, Life In The Thumb, The Literary Life of The Well Read Wife, Jenn's Bookshelves, and Write Meg.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shiny! I love comments.