Friday, March 11, 2016

None of The Above by IW Gregorio

I picked up None of The Above because I'd never read a book with a intersex protagonist. I'm really glad I did. None of The Above was a sweet story about a girl coming of age and dealing with being intersex.

The author has a fantastic resource page about intersex so please check it out to learn more.

Kristin is a 16 year old girl. She runs on the track team. She has a great boyfriend. When Kristin and her boyfriend decide to take their relationship to the next level, Kristin discovers that something is wrong. Kristin is diagnosed with Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome (commonly referred to as intersex). Kristin's life turns upside down but gets worse when the whole school and her boyfriend find out. Since most people are fairly ignorant about intersex, Kristin becomes an outcast. Now, Kristin has to figure who she is with this new diagnosis and without her friends.

I liked Kristin. She felt very real to me. I can't image being 16 and being told that your body is different than you thought it was. I can image how hard it would be to deal with friends who don't understand or want to support you. Kristin's family was incredibly supportive. I loved her dad and how much energy he put into researching options for Kristin. I loved watching Kristin grow and change as her reality did. None of the Above is wonderfully written. I look forward to reading more by Gregorio. Others who shared their thoughts on None of The Above: Feed Your Fiction Addiction, Reader Rayna, and Read. Breathe. Relax.

1 comment:

  1. I still need to read this. I really have no excuse as to why I haven't yet.

    ReplyDelete

Shiny! I love comments.