Monday, May 6, 2013

Outlander by Diana Gibaldon

I decided to read Outlander and start the Outlander series because they are freaking long books and I need longer books to get to my goal of 40,000 pages read this year. At 627 pages it certainly qualifies as mammoth book. Anyway Outlander is like everyone's favorite book and for good reason. It's awesome.
Ok, Claire and her husband, Frank, are enjoying a second honeymoon in Scotland. Frank is enjoying the historical sites of Scotland and finding out of the way and unknown attractions. Claire enjoys finding interesting herbs and plants. On one expedition to a cluster of rocks, Claire touches one of the rocks and is transported to 1743. I enjoyed the fish out of water experience Claire has at first. She thinks the fight she stumbles upon is a movie set. It isn't until she's attacked that she realizes this isn't a movie. It takes a while for Claire to realize that she's gone back in time. Fortunately, Frank's historical studies rubbed off on Claire so she's able to know a little bit about the world she's in. But nothing prepares her to live in 1743 or to meet Jamie.
Jamie has to be my new favorite character. I kept reading Jamie's dialogue to Tai.  He even thought Jamie sounded pretty cool. I liked Claire too. Gabaldon writes a rich and interesting story. I was immediately drawn in. I read Outlander for most of the readathon and was entertained.
Overall, I enjoyed Outlander. I can't say it was my favorite book ever. Jamie is my new favorite male character though. I plan to keep reading the series. Others who shared their thoughts on Outlander: Once Upon A Chapter, Cannonball Reads 5, Chapter Break, and It's A Book Life.
This was my sixth read for the Historical Reading Challenge.
This was my fourth read for the Mammoth Reading Challenge.
2013 Mammoth Book Challenge

4 comments:

  1. Yes for the Jamie love! I have a mega crush on him. I'm glad you enjoyed the book, it is a long one. I still have yet to read any of the others but I hope to do that this summer. Thanks for including me in your post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed it! Gonna keep going? I've made it through four of them. They're good, but the first is the best so far, IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a copy of this, but I've yet to actually start reading it. From everything I've heard I know I'm going to love this series. I'm just not so sure I'm quite ready to make a commitment to reading them yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this book big time. Super huge crush on Jamie and honestly, I love Claire's character. Can't get enough of this series.

    ReplyDelete

Shiny! I love comments.