Friday, October 12, 2012

Some Girls: My Life In A Harem by Jillian Lauren

The second part of the title grabbed me when I spotted Some Girls: My Life In A Harem on the library shelf. The woman on the cover appeared Caucasian so I grabbed the book and read the blurb on the back. Sure enough the story was about a Caucasian woman from New Jersey who goes to Brunei to be a "party girl" for the brother of the Sultan of Brunei. I enjoy memoirs especially from "ordinary" people who live outside of the every day. I'm glad I took a chance. Some Girls was really interesting.
Jillian grew up in New Jersey. Her dream was to be an actress. But when she left New Jersey and headed to New York, she wound up becoming a stripper and later, a hooker. A lot of the book is told out of sequence. She'll be talking about going to Brunei then interject a story from her youth. It all makes sense especially why she choose to tell the story then but the story meanders. I enjoyed it but if you are looking for linear and logical Lauren doesn't tell her story that way.
I found Lauren easy to relate to even though her life and my life aren't similar. If I were to meet her at a party I would enjoy talking to her, might even become casual friends. Her childhood certainly shaped how she grew up and why she took to the paths she did. I enjoyed her whole story not just the parts about Brunei. I'd recommend it. Others who shared their thoughts on Some Girls: Book Him Dano!, 3500 Words Per Pound, Should've Read You Sooner, and Luxury Reading.

1 comment:

  1. Cheerleader here. Hope you enjoy readathon if you're participating :D

    ReplyDelete

Shiny! I love comments.