Monday, October 15, 2012

The Treachery of Beautiful Things by Ruth Frances Long

I immediately put The Treachery of Beautiful Things on my library queue after I heard about it. When I saw the description on Goodreads ("darkly compelling mix of romance, fairy tale, and suspense"), I knew I would enjoy it and I did! Plus how can you resist that beautiful cover!
When Jenny is ten, her brother is taken by the forest. Everyone else thinks he got lost or fell but Jenny saw the trees grab her brother and pull him into the forest. Seven years have gone by and Jenny heads back to the forest that took her brother.
First off, Long's writing is stunning. When I started it I read for about half an hour or so, I stopped to see how far I'd gotten and I read more than I assumed I did. The Treachery of Beautiful Things was entrancing, a page turner. Each page made me want to read more and more. I was surprised how quickly I finished it but it was a compelling read. 
I loved the characters. Some I was familiar with-Puck, Titania, Oberon. But there were new ones like Jenny, Jack, and Jenny's brother, Tom.  Oh yes there are faeries! I love faeries especially when they are dark faeries like in The Treachery of Beautiful Things. So much more fun when faeries are dark than good and light.  Overall a terrific read. I hope Long writes more in Jenny's world. I'd love to visit again. Others who shared their thoughts on The Treachery of Beautiful Things: Good Books & Good Wine, The Broke and The Bookish, Addicted 2 Novels, and My Shelf Confessions.

3 comments:

  1. I"m a sucker for the dark faeries and this one sounds like my type of read. I love that cover too and wouldn't be able to resist from grabbing it off a shelf!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds right up my alley! Have you seen the movie The Secret of Roan Inish? In it the sea takes Fiona's baby brother and she tries to get him back...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This author can really write!

    As soon as Jenny's brother was taken, I was hooked. I love modern fairy tales, and this one was no exception. Felt like a really fresh spin!
    Perforator Document Dating information

    ReplyDelete

Shiny! I love comments.