Monday, October 1, 2012

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling

I picked up Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? after seeing plenty of good reviews. But I didn't know who Mindy Kaling was. I've never seen a full episode of The Office. I've seen a few clips. I know who Pam and Jim and Dwight are but I've never wanted to watch it til I read Kaling's book.
Reading this book was like talking to a friend. A strange, opinionated friend but Kaling has a very conversational tone through the whole book. I enjoyed learning about her. She grew up kind of awkward and had few friends as a child. She loved comedy from an early age and started writing skits in high school. After college Kaling and two friends moved to New York. Kaling writes about her early jobs in New York and Los Angeles. I appreciated her honesty. I felt she was pretty honest about what she went through. Nothing bad but she certainly had some amusing stories.
This is such a short funny book to read. It's perfect for a plane ride, a book for the beach. Recommended. Others who shared their thoughts on Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?: The Brunette Librarian, Take Me Away, Devourer of Books, and My Books. My Life.

2 comments:

  1. Ack! I've been wanting to read that book since before it came out! Can I borrow it from you?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Mindy and am really looking forward to reading this one! Have you seen her new show, "The Mindy Project"? It's pretty cute and fun... much as I'd imagine this book to be!

    ReplyDelete

Shiny! I love comments.