Friday, June 5, 2015

I'll Give You The Sun by Jandy Nelson

I added I'll Give You The Sun because of all the hype. Honestly I almost didn't finish I'll Give You The Sun. It was too weird. But I finished and thoroughly enjoyed the ending but it took so much to get there.

Noah and Jude are twins. At thirteen, Noah's artistic and socially awkward while Jude is popular. At sixteen, Jude is a loner and makes misshapen art while Noah runs track and hangs out with the cool kids. The story alternates between the twins and between the different years. What happened to create this role reversal between the two?

At thirteen, Noah made no sense to me. The way he talked was so peculiar, that I just kept thinking how weird this book was. And the transitions between them being 13 and 16 weren't always clear. The story just doesn't make a whole of sense and I really didn't care about any of the characters until about 2/3 of the way through. Once I got to that part my enjoyment increased. But I don't know why it was a mystery, a lot of the book would have made more sense had things been explained earlier. I liked Noah and Jude's interactions especially when they were 13. I stuck with it because I had to know why people were so gaga over this one. It was a long journey but I definitely enjoyed the end. The hype couldn't have been just for the end so I think I missed what made I'll Give You The Sun so amazing. Others who shared their thoughts: Just A Hunch Book Blog, Gay YA, More Than Just Magic, and Forever 17 Books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shiny! I love comments.