Friday, November 30, 2012

The Rook by Daniel O'Malley


I put The Rook on my library queue after seeing some ads for it on Goodreads. Supernatural Secret Service? Sounds good to me. I thoroughly enjoyed The Rook.
A woman finds herself in the rain with no memory of how she got there. She’s got 2 black eyes, some bruises, and scrapped knees. There are 2 letters in her pocket, telling her that she is inhabiting the body of Myfawny Thomas. She also receives instructions that start her on one wild ride. Myfawny (pronounced Miff-un-ee rhymes with Tiffany) works for the Checquy, a convert government operation that deals with supernatural phenomenon. Myfawny herself has some supernatural abilities of her own. I loved the new Myfawny right away. She wakes up in this strange body, no clue how she got there or what to do. Now she has some trouble but l loved watching her figure everything out. Who stripped Myfawny of her memory and personality? Is there a traitor within Checquy? Will England be invaded?
Not only was the plot original and entertaining but the writing was humorous. I kept laughing out loud. The scene with the duck was priceless. Sure, there are the same supernaturals-vamps, demons. But there were some strange almost Lovecraftian creatures too which was pretty cool. Myfawny's coworkers are an odd bunch too. One of her coworkers has 4 bodies, three men and one woman. Another is a contortionist. There are others that can manipulate metal, control minds, and have impenetrable skin. I loved the world O'Malley created. 
Overall, I highly recommend The Rook. Fans of the supernatural will enjoy it. I just noticed it's the first in a series. I'm really looking forward to the next one. Others who shared their thoughts on The Rook: King Of The Nerds, Blogging For A Good Book, Bookalicious Babe Book Reviews, and Sawcat's Book Blog.

2 comments:

  1. Hmm...this sounds like a really interesting read! I hadn't heard of it before now but I definitely want to check it out after reading your review. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay! I'm loving your description of this one and I like books that make you laugh out-loud!!

    ReplyDelete

Shiny! I love comments.