Sunday, November 11, 2007

Sunday Breakfast

A few months ago, a friend gave me a recipe for Apple Dutch Baby Pancake. I made it once right away and it turned out awful! It was supposed to be sweet but it was bland. Mr A put pancake syrup all over it. I was sad that it didn't turn out right. I checked with my friend and she wasn't sure what I'd done wrong.
I had a couple of apples sitting around. I thought about making baked apples again but I choose to try the pancake again. And this time I got it right!
Yes, it doesn't look like much. But so yummy. I think I didn't use enough honey the last time I made it.

Dutch Baby Pancake (Martha Stewart)

Serves 4 (or 2 very hungry people)

  • 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch wedges
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
  • 3 large eggs
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
Heat oven to 400 degrees. Heat a well-seasoned 10-inch cast-iron skillet over high heat. Add butter. When melted, add apple wedges. Cook until softened and lightly golden, about 2 minutes. Stir in honey and cardamom, and remove skillet from heat.
In a separate bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients, except confectioners’ sugar, until smooth. Pour over apple mixture. Bake until puffed and brown, about 20 minutes. Slide pancake onto a serving platter. Serve immediately, cut into wedges, with confectioners’ sugar sifted over the top.

Modifications I made: I didn't have cardamom, so I used some cinnamon instead. I used Red Delicious apples since that's what I had on hand. And I didn't add the sugar at the end. It was pretty sweet anyway and didn't need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shiny! I love comments.